1. What are the prerequisites for admission?

To be eligible, a candidate should:

  1. hold a Bachelor's degree of this University; or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
  2. obtain statements from two referees, regarding his/her suitability for the Programme; and
  3. obtain a TOEFL/IETLS score if he/she is not from an English teaching university.

Exceptional performance in one dimension may compensate another dimension.  


2. What factors are considered in admission decision?

We will consider the overall assessment of the degree honors/GPA, working experience (if applicable) and referees' recommendation.  


3. I am not sure if I need to take the TOEFL.

An applicant who wishes to be admitted on the basis of a qualification from an university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching or examination is not English is required to obtain a score of 577 or above (paper-based test), 233 or above (computer-based test) or 90 or above (internet-based test) in the TOEFL. Test scores that are more than 2 years old will not be accepted.

A minimum overall band of 7 with no subtest lower than 6.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted as an equivalent standard.  


4. What is the HKU code number for TOEFL?

The HKU code number for TOEFL is 9671.   


5. Do I need to submit my GMAT/GRE score?

GMAT/GRE scores are not required, but a good GMAT/GRE score will be favorably considered and can be helpful for marginal cases. Should candidates wish to submit a GMAT or GRE score, they should upload a copy of the test report together with other supporting documents to the application system.    


6. When is the application deadline?

The application deadlines for the 2018-19 intake are:
Round 1:  12:00 noon of November 13, 2017
Round 2:  12:00 noon of January 3, 2018


7. How can I submit the degree certificate and transcript?

Supporting documents as listed below should be uploaded to the on-line application system by logging in https://sweb.hku.hk/tola/servlet/CreateUserScreen/loginForm before the application deadline or expiry of the application account (which is valid for four weeks only), whichever is earlier: 

  • Latest official academic transcripts
  • Award certificate/ degree certificate (學位證書), if available
  • Graduation certificate (畢業證書), only applicable to Mainland China students
  • English language score report (TOEFL or IELTS), if applicable
  • Proof of internship experience of all positions, or full-time employment of the most recent one, whichever is applicable

The original copy of supporting documents is NOT required at the application stage. Should a candidate be given an admission offer by the Programme, he/she will receive notification of the need to submit original/certified true copy of the documents by one of the following methods: 

  • get your documents duly declared as true copies before a notary public (e.g. A Commissioner for Oaths at a District Office in Hong Kong), or certified by the appropriate officials of your institution if you are an overseas applicant; or
  • send your documents directly by the issuing authority.  

The above is also applicable to HKU undergraduates. 


8. How can I submit the recommendation letters?

Applicants should download the form of reference from the application website and invite two referees to complete the form. Completed forms of reference should be emailed to meconref@hku.hk by referees via their valid email accounts before the application deadline.


9. What is the cost of the programme?

The proposed tuition fee for the 2018-19 intake is HK$210,000. Students are required to pay the tuition fee in two equal installments in one year, irrespective of the number of courses taken in each semester.

There is also a non-refundable application fee of HK$300.

Note: The fees are subject to final approval of the University. 


10. Are there any financial aids, scholarships, fellowships or loans for this programme?

Local students of the MEcon Programme can apply for Non-means Tested Loan Scheme offered by the HKSAR Government.

The Master of Economics Scholarship shall be awarded to new students in the Master of Economics Programme on the basis of academic performance at the time of admission. The number of scholarships to be awarded shall not exceed 10% of the intake number in the relevant academic year. The value of each scholarship shall range from 10-50% of the prevailing Master of Economics tuition fee, subject to the performance of the candidates. All eligible candidates will automatically be considered and no application for the Scholarship is required.


11. When are the classes held?

Courses are offered in two 12-week long semesters from September to December and from January to May, and two 6-week long summer semesters. Each course requires 12 three-hour meetings. This may take place over 12 weeks or six weeks, with the course meeting twice a week in the latter case.

Classes are held in in the daytime or evenings on weekdays, or Saturdays at Admiralty Town Centre, Cyberport Campus,  or HKU Pokfulam campus.

The curriculum shall extend over a minimum of one academic year and a maximum of two academic years for full-time study.  Students at normal progress shall finish the programme in one academic year.   


12. Can I apply for exemption?

Students with a strong undergraduate training in economics and mathematics may take Microeconomic Theory and Macroeconomic Theory in lieu of Microeconomic Analysis and Macroeconomic Analysis respectively, under the advice and approval of the Programme Director.   


13. What is the parking arrangement for students in HKU?

In addition to hourly parking, our postgraduate students can apply for a monthly parking during non-office hour. The Application form for Evening/Weekend Parking Permit can be downloaded.  Click here to Download   


14. Can I have an accommodation in the campus?

Full-time postgraduate students are eligible to apply for accommodation at a monthly rental charge for a single room in a number of designated halls. For details about housing for postgraduate students, please visit the website of the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) at http://web.cedars.hku.hk/pg_housing/files/docs/general-info.pdf.

CEDARS also collects and compiles data on off-campus privately-owned rooms or flats, in the vicinity of the university campus that are available for rental to students.  



15. Does concurrent registration allow in HKU? 

Students registered to read for a postgraduate curriculum at this University MUST NOT be registered simultaneously to read for another qualification in this University or at another institution, except with the approval of the Board of Faculty of Business and Economics given in advance. A breach of this Regulation in Hong Kong or elsewhere may result in the student concerned being required to discontinue studies at this University.   


16. Are MEcon courses included in the list of reimbursable courses for the purpose of the Continuing Education Fund (CEF)?

The following four courses have been included in the list of reimbursable courses for CEF purpose. Their respective CEF course titles and course codes are as follows:

CEF Course Title CEF Course Code
Corporate Finance
(Module from Master of Economics)
Financial Economics
(Module from Master of Economics)
International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment
(Module from Master of Economics)
The Chinese Economy
(Module from Master of Economics)


The Institution Code for HKU is 001. Please visit the following website for details of CEF:



17. Arrangement of classes and examinations when Typhoon or Black Rainstorm Warning Signal is hoisted.

Please refer to the arrangement of the University: http://www.hku.hk/exam/​.