1. What are the prerequisites for application?

To be eligible, you should hold a Bachelor's degree with honours and obtain a satisfactory GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE (Graduate Record Examination) score. We look for candidates who have the academic capabilities and the commitment to academic research. Applicants for the four-year PhD degree should have a Bachelor's degree at second class honours upper division or above and a taught Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree at first class honours. Applicants for the three-year PhD degree should hold a Bachelor's degree at second class honours upper division or above and a research Master's degree.

2. What factors are considered in the admission decision?

Factors normally considered are test scores, undergraduate records, research proposal, recommendations, and the result of the interview.

3. Do I need to take the TOEFL?

If you come from a university outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, you need to take the TOEFL. The University only accepts TOEFL score that is within a two-year period. The minimum acceptable score is 550 for the paper-based test or 80 for the internet-based test. The code for The University of Hong Kong's Graduate School is 9671.

4. Do I need to submit a GMAT/GRE score report?

Those applying for admission to the MPhil/PhD programmes of the Faculty of Business and Economics are required to submit the official score report of GRE or GMAT, taken within a five-year period. (Institution code: GRE - 2482; GMAT - FS2-WL-48)

5. I took the GMAT/GRE test six years ago. Is it still valid?

No. Only test scores taken within a five-year period will be accepted.

6. If my GMAT/GRE score is not yet available, should I still submit my application?

You are advised to submit a full application and attach all the documents required. Otherwise the Admissions Committee will not be able to make a decision on your application.

7. Is it possible to be exempted from the GMAT/GRE requirement?

No. The Admissions Committee does not normally grant waivers to the GMAT/GRE requirement.

8. What materials must be filed with my application?

In your application, you should include the following:

  1. Completed application form;
  2. GMAT/GRE test score;
  3. TOEFL score (if required);
  4. A research proposal (6 to 8 pages in length);
  5. Academic transcripts;
  6. Certificates; and
  7. Two academic referee's reports (directly from the referees).

Applications should be submitted via the online application system of the Graduate School of HKU. Please visit http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/prospective-students/how-to-apply for details.

9. Is any financial aid available?

Postgraduate studentship will normally be granted to full-time students. Holders of studentship are required to undertake research or other teaching duties for the Faculty and shall not undertake any other paid employment. The award is on an annual basis and is renewable subject to satisfactory academic performance.


Click here for more FAQs at the Graduate School website.