The Business Lab is a stimulating elective of the HKU MBA programme that provides students with opportunities to pursue their passion for entrepreneurship. The aim of this module is to incubate the development and consolidation of business concepts by HKU MBA students whilst making use of all of the knowledge and tools learnt throughout the MBA programme.
Business Lab sessions (with the exception of the initial presentation, semi-finals and finals) are based on a sequence of topics delivered in case studies presented by Lab Coordinator and Facilitator Pedro Eloy and industry experts. Slides, start-up pitch videos, related documentation and audio-visual materials are widely used throughout, and active discussion is strongly encouraged.
Entrepreneurs, investors and business people with sector-specific experience offer a real-world perspective on student projects. Invited guest speakers act as both a ‘reality check’ and a source of potential networking opportunities for the student teams.
Industry experts lead subject-specific sessions and generously donate a substantial amount of time to answering students’ questions.
- Luisa Soares de Brito, Business Development Manager, Li&Fung – Dragon Concept
- Tiago Silva, Programme Manager, Disaster Response Teams Global Coordinator, Cisco Silicon Valley
- Bruno Vaz, Real Estate Design Director at Walmart
- Raphael Cohen, CSO & Co-Founder at HotelQuickly
- Aram Armstrong, Manager, Knowledge Deployment at Fung Group
- Mathias Krostewitz, Founder of Fund2.me
- Simon Karner, Founder of Fund2.me
- Brian Sin, Head of Innovation, Cigna
- David Bertet, Solution Director, Schneider
- Ludovic Lang, Marketing & Business Development Director, Thales
- Philip Liang, Chief Executive Officer, General Sensing
- Pedro Eloy, Entrepreneur & Director of New Media & Information Technology, Fung 1937
- Zane Moi, Head of Business Development, Hong Kong, Macau & Taiwan, Amazon Web Services; Co-Founder of TreeCrunch Limited & Co-Founder of PhotobookAsia
- Luisa Alves, Executive Vice President, Sourcing, Hong Kong
- David Bishop, BBA(Law) & LLB Programme Coordinator, Senior Teaching Consultant
- Diana Massada, Global Financial Management, European Business & Capital Markets
- Brad Hagen, Serial Entrepreneur, Co-Founder of Brandr and Studio Design
- Richard Kelly, Chief Catalyst, Fung Group
- Madalena Correia dos Santos, Entrepreneur and Partner at NPVSocial
- Jens Janssen, Owner & Managing Director, Eximius Entertainment and Business Development Director, Thicas Interiors
- Rameses Villanueva, Chief Financial Officer, Naxos International
- Miguel Lopes, VP Product Line Management, Cataleya Private Limited
- Barbara Meynert, International business leader and philosopher
- Astrid Angvik, Director of Marketing and Business Development, Naxos International
- Yvonne Mak, External Relations Director, Fung Global institute
- Andrew Au, Managing Director (Southeast Asia) / Asia Pacific Board Director, Imagination
- Eetu Kuneinen, Entrepreneur & Co-Founder of 3dprintingindustry.com
- Sunny Wong, Managing Director, Fung Investment Group
- Raghu Narain, MD and Head of GIG Asia, Royal Bank of Scotland
- Jessica K Lau, Account Manager, Google
- Lynn Hung, Employer Brand Consultant, LinkedIn
- Guy Parsonage, CEO & Partner of fluid, Vice-Chair of The Marketing Society
- Michiel Waaijer, Founder & Director, Rock Solid
WIIFM (What’s in it for me)?
The Business Lab gives HKU MBA students opportunities to:
- Learn how to articulate concepts and package them into effective business proposals
- Actively engage in discussions on a wide range of business-related topics
- Interact with top industry professionals (guest speakers) and perform an ‘acid test’ on their own projects
- Receive a distinctive diploma of participation (conferred upon all members/teams) that can be added to CVs, LinkedIn profiles and the like
- Earn prizes and recognition
- Develop problem-solving and framing capabilities
- Improve presentation skills (every class involves group presentations and class discussions)
- Learn to work with ongoing iteration models
- Enjoy a supportive communal environment both in class and outside/online
- Participate fully with classmates from a variety of business fields
Prizes and Project Evaluation
Interim projects are evaluated throughout the programme, and all teams have the opportunity to present their final project to a selected jury. A diploma of participation with a final grade is conferred upon all students, and a prize is awarded to the two best projects.
The MBA Office also seeks venture capital investment funding for the best project, although such funding cannot be guaranteed.