Mrs Margaret Leung Ko May Yee, JP
Mrs Margaret Leung is Vice-Chairman and Chief Executive of Hang Seng Bank and Chairman of Hang Seng Bank (China), Hang Seng Insurance Company, Hang Seng Life, Hang Seng Management College, Hang Seng School of Commerce and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation. She is a Director of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation and an independent non-executive Director of Hutchison Whampoa and Swire Pacific.
Mrs Leung began her career with Bank of America after receiving a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Accounting and Business Administration from The University of Hong Kong in 1975. She joined the HSBC Group in 1978 and has worked in a variety of managerial positions in different areas, including retail banking, international corporate accounts, corporate and investment banking, commercial banking, and credit and risk management. She was appointed a Group General Manager in 2005 and was Global Co-Head Commercial Banking for the HSBC Group prior to her appointment to Hang Seng Bank.
Mrs Leung is involved with a number of government and industry committees, universities and nonprofit organisations in Hong Kong and mainland China, including being:
- a member of the Advisory Committee of the Securities and Futures Commission;
- a member of the Commission on Strategic Development;
- a member of the Hospital Governing Committee of Queen Mary Hospital and Tsan Yuk Hospital;
- a member of the Standing Committee on Disciplined Services Salaries and Conditions of Service of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and Chairman of its Police Sub-Committee;
- Honorary President of Chinese Bankers Club, Hong Kong;
- First Vice-President & Chairman of 2011-2012 Executive Committee of The Community Chest of Hong Kong;
- a Council member of the University of Hong Kong and a member of the university’s Finance Committee;
- Honorary Vice-President of Hong Kong University Alumni Association;
- a Member of International Advisory Board of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University;
- a Member of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Business School Advisory Council;
- a Chapter Honoree of the Hong Kong Baptist University Beta Gamma Sigma Society, and a Court Member of the university; and
- a member and a Standing Committee member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference in Guangzhou and in Henan respectively.
Mrs Leung was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 2009.