Going beyond data synthesis: Meta-analysis for theory and advancement in management (Topic 3: Coding of studies; Analysis of the data, conclusions, and presentation of findings)
Dr. Marc van Essen
Sonoco International Business Department
Darla Moore School of Business
University of South Carolina
The workshop is open to all PhD students and faculty members. It is assumed that the participants have some basic knowledge of how to interpret the analysis. For teaching and practice purposes, participants will use simulated datasets. The workshop aims to teach the development of coding questionnaires, coding of studies and to show how the analysis of the data is done, how the conclusions can be drawn and how to present the findings, and thus give some indications on how to get published in a top management journal. The benefits and limitations of Meta-Analysis are discussed both in theory as well as during the empirical examples.
Topic 1: Selection of topic and research proposition
Topic 2: Collection of studies; Development of coding questionnaires
Topic 3: Coding of studies; Analysis of the data, conclusions, and presentation of findings
Books and Readings:
- Stanley, T. D., & Doucouliagos, H. 2012. Meta-regression analysis in economics and business (Vol. 5). Routledge.
- Lipsey, M., & Wilson, D. B. 2001. Practical meta-analysis (Vol. 49). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage publications.
Readings for Day 1:
- Carney, M., Gedajlovic, E., Heugens, P.P.M.A.R., Van Essen, M., & Van Oosterhout, H. 2011. Business group affiliation, performance, context, and strategy: A meta-analysis. Academy of Management Journal, 0001-4273, 54(3), 437-460.
- Geyskens et al. (2009) A review and evaluation of meta-analysis practices in management research. Journal of Management, 35, 393-419.
- Stanley (2001), Wheat from chaff: Meta-analysis as quantitative literature review, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 15 (3), 131-150.
- Doucouliagos, H., & Ulubasoglu, M. A. 2008. Technical appendix for democracy and economic growth: A meta-analysis. Working Paper.
- Stanley and Jarrell. 2005. Meta-regression analysis: A quantitative method of literature surveys, Journal of Economic Surveys, 19 (3), 299-308
- Van Essen, M., Heugens, P. P. M. A. R., van Oosterhout, H., & Otten, J. 2012. An institution-based view of executive compensation: A multilevel meta-analytic test. Journal of International Business Studies.
Readings for Day 2:
- Bergh, D. D., Aguinis, H., Heavey, C., Ketchen, D. J., Boyd, B. K., Su, P., & Joo, H. (2014). Using meta‐analytic structural equation modeling to advance strategic management research: Guidelines and an empirical illustration via the strategic leadership‐performance relationship. Strategic Management Journal.
- Kirca, A.H., & Yaprak. (2010) The use of meta-analysis in international business research: Its current status and suggestions for better practice. International Business Review 19 (2010) 306–314