Advanced Research Stream
To enhance the research capability of MEcon students, HKU Business School has introduced a more research-oriented stream with effect from the 2021-22 academic year and thereafter. The new Advanced Research Stream stresses the cultivation of research capability and offers students with strong academic inclination real exposure to research.
The Advanced Research Stream is research focused and students are expected to produce one research paper of good quality which can be further developed into one of their PhD thesis chapters.
Students will take courses with PhD students and can work on their thesis under the supervision of faculty members in the economics area. They will also provide research assistance to their supervisors and other faculty members of this area.
Students being admitted to the Advanced Research Stream are expected to complete the whole programme in two years.
- 3 Core Courses
- Microeconomic Theory
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Applied Econometrics / Econometric Theory I
- 3 Stream Core Courses (out of 5)
- Econometric Theory II
- Game Theory and Applications
- Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice
- Topics in Economic Research I
- Topics in Economic Research II
- 2 Elective Courses (from MEcon elective courses list)
- 1 Capstone Course - Research Thesis