- Ph.D., Stockholm University
Dr. Bei Qin obtained her Ph.D. in Economics from the Institute for International Economic Studies (IIES) at Stockholm University in 2013. She also holds a B.A. in Economics from Fudan University, and an M.A. in Economics from Fudan University and the University of Illinois at Chicago. Bei joined The University of Hong Kong as Assistant Professor in 2013.
Bei’s main research interests are in development economics and political economy, especially in political connection and media bias topics.
- Development Economics
- Political Economics
- Media Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
- “Wealth, Education, and Demand for Medical Care: Evidence from Rural China”
(with Jin Feng and Yangyang Yu), in Gordon Liu and Shufang Zhang (eds), Investing in Human Capital for Economic Development in China, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 2010.
- “The Political Economy of Social Media in China,”
(with David Strömberg and Yanhui Wu), Journal of Economic Perspectives, forthcoming.
- “Political Connection, Government Patronage and Firm Performance: Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing Firms”
- “Chinese Microblogs and Drug Quality”
- “Media Bias in China”
(with David Strömberg and YanhuiWu).
- “The impact of Anti-corruption Campaign on Politically Connected Listed Companies,”
(with Chun-Fang Chiang).
- “How Valuable It Is to Be a Deputy of People’s Congress in China in terms of Reducing Corruption Payments? ”