Back to Faculty Members
Prof. Kai Wai HUI
Accounting and Law
MAcct Programme Director
Academic & Professional Qualification
- PhD in Accounting, University of Oregon
- B.B.A, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Professor, The University of Hong Kong (HKU), 2017 – present
- Associate Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), 2010 - 2016
- Assistant Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), 2004 - 2010
- Financial and managerial accounting
- Capital markets
- Litigation Studies
- "Maintaining a Reputation for Consistently Beating Earnings Expectations and the Slippery Slope to Earnings Manipulation." Contemporary Accounting Research, 2019, 36(4), 1966-1998. (with Jenny Chu, Patricia Dechow, and Annika Wong).
- "Federal Judge Ideology: A New Measure of Ex-Ante Litigation Risk." Journal of Accounting Research, 2019, 57(2), 431-489. (with Allen Huang and Reeyarn Li).
- "The Effect of Major Customer Concentration on Firm Profitability: Competitive or Collaborative?" Review of Accounting Studies, 2019, 24(1), 189-229. (with Chuchu Liang and Eric Yeung).
- "On the Persistence and Pricing of Industry-Wide and Firm-Specific Earnings, Cash Flows, and Accruals." Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2016, 61(1), 185–202. (with K. Nelson and Eric Yeung).
- "Analyst Report Readability and Stock Returns." Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 43(1-2), 98–130. (with Hsieh, C. C. and Y. Zhang).
- "Are CEOs and CFOs Rewarded for Disclosure Quality?" The Accounting Review, 2015, 90(3), 1013-1047. (with Steve Matsunaga).
- "The Market's Valuation of Fraudulently Reported Earnings." Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 2014, 41(5-6), 627–651. (with Clive Lennox and G. Zhang).
- "Underreaction to Industry-Wide Earnings and the Post-Forecast Revision Drift." Journal of Accounting Research, 2013, 51(4), 701-737. (with Eric Yeung).
- "Corporate Suppliers and Customers and Accounting Conservatism." Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2012, 53(1-2), 115-135. (with Sandy Klasa and Eric Yeung).
- "Managers' EPS Forecasts: Nickeling and Diming the Market?" The Accounting Review, 2010, 85(1), 63-95. (with Linda Smith Bamber and Eric Yeung).
- "Does Religion Matter in Corporate Decision Making in America?" Journal of Financial Economics, 2009, 93(3), 455-473. (with Gilles Hilary).
- "The Impact of Conservatism on Management Earnings Forecast." Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2009, 47(3), 192-207. (with Dale Morse and Steve Matsunaga).
Awards and Honours
- Dean’s Letter for Excellent MBA Teaching, 2015
- Franklin Prize for Teaching Excellence, (Undergraduate Teaching), 2005
- Certified Public Accountant, Washington, U.S.A.