- Ph.D., The University of British Columbia
- M.A., The University of British Columbia
- B.Sc., Sun Yat-sen University
Professor Larry Dongxiao QIU obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from Zhongshan University, China, in 1983. He also holds a Master of Arts degree in Economics in 1989 and Ph.D. degree in Economics in 1993 from the University of British Columbia, Canada. He then joined Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 1993 as Assistant Professor and later became an Associate Professor and Professor there. He moved to The University of Hong Kong in January 2008 as a Professor.
Larry's research covers a wide range of topics, with focuses on industrial organization, international trade and foreign direct investment (FDI). In the field of industrial organization, he is interested in issues such as R&D and M&As. In the field of international trade, he has studied the optimal design of strategic trade policies, the impacts of intellectual property right (IPR) protection on international trade, and the impacts of environment policies on technology transfer. In the field of FDI, he analyzes cross-border M&As, strategic alliances and technology transfer. He has also done some research on China's foreign trade and FDI. He has published extensively in international journals and books.
Larry has taught a variety of courses at all levels (undergraduate, master, MBA, EMBA, Ph.D. and as well as executive training) and in many places including China, Hong Kong and Portugal. Examples of his courses include globalization, international trade and finance, China's industry analysis, and foreign trade and investment in China.
Larry's research has received a number of research grants from the HKSAR Government. He has conducted several consultant projects for the HKSAR Government and Asia Development Bank.
- Industrial Organization
- International Trade
- Foreign Direct Investment
- “Foreign acquisitions and the target firms’ performance in China,”
(with Qing Liu and Ruosi Lu), The World Economy, August 2016.
- “Intermediate input imports and innovation: Evidence from Chinese firms,”
(with Qing Liu), Journal of International Economics, 103, 2016, 166-183.
- “Who invest more in advanced abatement technology: Theory and evidence,”
(with Jing Cao and Mohan Zhou), Canadian Journal of Economics, 49(2), May 2016, 637-662.
- “Understanding China’s foreign trade policy: A literature review,”
(with Ying Xue), Frontiers of Economics in China, 11(3), 2016, 410-438.
- “China’s global influence: A survey through the lens of international trade,”
(with Chaoqun Zhan), Pacific Economic Review, 2016, 21(1), 45-71.
- “Foreign acquisitions in China and multinationals' global market strategy,”
(with Qing Liu and Zhigang Li), Review of Development Economics, 2016, 20(1), 87-100.
- “Understanding China’s foreign trade: A literature review (I),”
(with Ying Xue), China Economic Journal, 7(2), September 2014, 168-186.
- “R&D, offshoring and task allocation along a global supply chain,”
(with Mohan Zhou), Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting and Economics, 21(1), March 2014, 18-24.
- “IPR, trade, FDI, and technology transfer,”
(with Tan Li), Frontiers of Economics in China, 9(4), November 2014, 529-555.
- “Implications of financial development in the South for trade and foreign direct investment from the North,”
(with Qing Liu), Review of Development Economics, 18(2), April 2014, 272-285.
- “Characteristics of acquirers and targets in domestic and cross-border M&As,”
(with Qing Liu), Review of Development Economics, 17(3), 2013, 474-493.
- “Entry, reputation and intellectual property rights protection,”
(with Jiahua Che and Wen Zhou), Canadian Journal of Economics, 47(4), November 2014, 1256-1281.
- "Multiproduct firms and scope adjustment in globalization,"
(with Wen Zhou), Journal of International Economics, 91, 2013, 142-153.
- "Labor training and foreign direct investment,"
(with Qing Liu), Review of International Economics, 22(1), April 2014, 151-166.
- “Cross-country externalities of trade and FDI liberalization,”
(with Qing Liu), Frontiers of Economics in China, 8(1), 2013, 19-49.
- "How do technical barriers to trade influence trade?,"
(with Xiaohua Bao), Review of International Economics, 20(4), 2012, 691-706.
- "Free trade agreements: A literature survey,"
Economic Research Journal (in Chinese), 2011(9), 147-157.
- “FDI policy, greenfield investment, and cross-border mergers,”
(with Shengzu Wang), Review of International Economics, 19(5), 2011, 836-851.
- “BOT contracts: Incentives and efficiency,”
(with Susheng Wang), Journal of Development Economics, 94, January 2011, 127-138.
- “Is China’s antidumping more retaliatory than that of the US?”
(with Xiaohua Bao), Review of International Economics, 19(2), 2011, 374-389.
- "Do Technical Barriers to Trade Promote or Restrict Trade？Evidence from China,"
(with Xiaohua Bao), Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting and Economics, 17, 2010, 253-280.
- “An empirical analysis of contracting by Chinese firms,”
(with Yifan Hu), China Economic Review, 21, 2010, 423-431.
- “Does the protection of foreign intellectual property rights stimulate innovation in the U.S.?”
(with YU Huayang), Review of International Economics, 18(5), 2010, 882-895.
- “Cross-border mergers and strategic alliances,”
European Economic Review, 54, August 2010, 818-831.
- “The ASEAN+3 trading bloc,”
(with Fred Kwan), Journal of Economic Integration, 25(1), 2010, 1-31 (Lead Article).
- “Technology Transfer and the South's Participation in an International Environmental Agreement,”
(with Zhihao Yu), Review of International Economics 17(3), 2009, 409-427.
- “Endogenous lobbying positions,”
Review of International Economics 16(4), Sep 2008, 641-653.
- “International outsourcing and imperfect contract enforcement,”
(with Huayang Yu), Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics, 14(3), Dec 2007, 315-336.
- “Merger waves: A model of endogenous mergers,”
(with Wen Zhou), Rand Journal of Economics, 30(1), Spring 2007, 214-226.
- “Trigger point mechanism and conditional commitment: Implications for entry, collusion and welfare,”
(with Leonard Cheng and Michael Fung), Contemporary Economic Policy, 25(2), April 2007, 156-169.
- “A general equilibrium analysis of software development: Copyright protection and contract enforcement,”
European Economic Review, 50(7), October 2006, 1661-1682.
- “International mergers: Incentives and welfare,”
(with Wen Zhou), Journal of International Economics, January, 2006, 68, 38-58.