Dr. Michael C.L. CHAU
Innovation and Information Management
- BS HK
- PhD Arizona
Michael Chau is currently an Associate Professor in the HKU Business School and the Warden of Lee Chi Hung Hall at the University of Hong Kong. He received a Ph.D. degree in Management Information Systems from the University of Arizona and a B.Sc. degree in Computer Science (Information Systems) from the University of Hong Kong. His research interests include business analytics, artificial intelligence, web mining, social media, electronic commerce, healthcare informatics, and security informatics.
He is the author of more than 140 articles and has been ranked in a research productivity study as the #14 most productive researcher in the field of information science in the period 1998-2007.
Michael has taught a wide range of courses at HKU, including database management, computer networking, business analytics and big data, artificial intelligence, project management, spreadsheet modelling, and computer programming.
- Business analytics
- Artificial intelligence
- Web mining and social media
- Electronic commerce
- Healthcare informatics
- Security informatics
- Chau, M., Li, W., Yang, B., Lee, A., and Bao, Z. "Incorporating the Time Order Effect of Feedbacks in Online Auction Markets through a Bayesian Updating Model," MIS Quarterly (MISQ), accepted for publication, forthcoming.
- Chau, M., Li, T. M. H., Wong, P. W. C., Xu, J. J., Yip, P. S. F., and Chen, H. "Finding People with Emotional Distress in Online Social Media: A Design Combining Machine Learning and Rule-based Classification," MIS Quarterly (MISQ), 44(2), pp. 933-955, 2020.
- Xu, J. J. and Chau, M. "Cheap Talk? The Impact of Lender-Borrower Communication on P2P Lending Outcomes," Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), 35(1), pp. 53-85, 2018.
- Xu, J. J., Chau, M., and Tan, B. "The Development of Social Capital in the Collaboration Network of Information Systems Scholars," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), 15(12), pp. 835-859, 2014.
- Fang, X., Hu, P. J., Chau, M., Hu, H., Yang, Z., and Sheng, O. R. L. "A Data-Driven Approach to Measure Web Site Navigability," Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), 29(2), pp. 173-212, 2012.
- Chau, M. and Xu, J. "Business Intelligence in Blogs: Understanding Consumer Interactions and Communities," MIS Quarterly (MISQ), 36(4), pp. 1189-1216, 2012.
- Chau, M. "Visualizing Web Search Results Using Glyphs: Design and Evaluation of a Flower Metaphor," ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (ACM TMIS), 2(1), pp. 1-27, 2011.
- Cheng, R., Chau, M., Garofalakis, M., and Yu, J. X. "Mining Large Uncertain and Probabilistic Databases," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE TKDE), 22(9), 1201-1202, 2010.
- Roussinov, D. and Chau, M. "Combining Information Seeking Services into a Meta Supply Chain of Facts," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), 9(3), 175-199, 2008.
- Xu, J., Wang, G., Li, J., and Chau, M. "Complex Problem Solving: Identity Matching Based on Social Contextual Information," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), 8(10), 525-545, 2007.
- Schroeder, J., Xu, J., Chen, H., and Chau, M. "Automated Criminal Link Analysis Based on Domain Knowledge," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), 58(6), 842-855, 2007.
- Chen, H., Chung, W., Xu. J., Wang, G., Qin, Y., and Chau, M. "Crime Data Mining: A General Framework and Some Examples," IEEE Computer, 37(4), 50-56, 2004.
Dr. Chau’s research has appeared in more than 150 publications. Please refer to https://pweb.fbe.hku.hk/~mchau/publications.html for a complete list.
- AIS Sandra Slaughter Service Award
- HKU Outstanding Young Researcher Award
- HKU Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award
- IEEE ISI Best Conference Paper Runner-up (2016)
- PACIS Best Conference Paper (2006)
- Keynote speaker/Invited speaker at more than 10 conferences and workshops
- AIS Sandra Slaughter Service Award (2016)