Dr. Olivia LEUNG
Accounting and Law
Assistant Dean (Undergraduate)
- Ph.D, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- B.Comm(Hons), University of British Columbia, Canada
- C.A. / CPA Canada, British Columbia, Canada
Dr. Olivia Leung obtained her PhD in Accounting from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and her Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) in Accounting from the University of British Columbia, Canada. She is also a qualified Chartered Accountant of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia (ICABA) in Canada. Prior to joining the academic industry, Dr. Leung worked in the Auditing and Assurance department of a Big-4 accounting firm in both Canada and Hong Kong.
Dr. Leung’s passion is in learning and teaching. She has rich experience in teaching university classes sized from 20 to 300 students, coaching students in local and international case competitions, advising students on academic, career, and personal development as an academic advisor, conducting professional seminars, and delivering public talks for community outreach. She was also involved with the Faculty’s AACSB and EQUIS accreditations in 2012-2014 and contributed to the university’s programme reviews of the BBA (International Business and Global Management) Accounting and Finance) and BBA (Accounting and Finance) programmes in 2017/18 and 2016/17 respectively. She revised and enriched the curriculum of the BBA(IBGM) programme under her role as the BBA(IBGM) programme director in 2016-2018. Her enthusiasm and devotion in learning and teaching has earned her widespread recognition for teaching excellence, as well as several teaching excellence awards including the HKU Faculty Outstanding Teacher Award (Undergraduate) for 2012-2013 and 2015-2016, and the HKU Teaching Feedback award for 2017-2018.
Beyond the classroom, Dr. Leung holds the Assistant Dean (Undergraduate) role at the Faculty of Business and Economics since 2016 and works with local and overseas business and academic partners to develop and support learning enrichment opportunities such as the exchange programme, mainland study programmes, international case competition talent programme, and professional skills development programmes, for undergraduate students to expand their learning horizons and connect to the business world.
Dr. Leung’s cross-cultural background, multinational educational/professional experience, and passion in learning and teaching allow her to establish an effective learning environment for students in the Faculty.
- Financial Accounting
- Management Accounting and Control
- Payout Policies
- Ownership Structure
- Corporate Governance
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2018, “Baited traps in an auditor’s morning”, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA), Prospective CPA, Issue Oct 2018, Tech Source.
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2015, “Substance over form: The accounting definitions, classification, and treatment of leases under HKAS17”, Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians (HKIATT), T/DIALOGUE, Issue Oct 2015, Technical Articles, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Oct 15.
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2014, “Are your operating activities cash-generating? – The Direct and Indirect Method under HKAS7”, Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians (HKIATT), T/DIALOGUE, Issue Oct 2014, Technical Articles, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Oct 14.
- Faculty Outstanding Teacher Awards (Undergraduate Teaching) 2012-2013 and 2015-2016
- Teaching Feedback Award 2017-2018
- Assistant Dean (Undergraduate), FBE, HKU (Since 2016)
- Adviser of Beta Gamma Sigma HKU Chapter (Since 2019/20)
- Mentor of Faculty Teaching & Learning Mentorship Scheme (Since 2019/20)
- Member of the Grievances Panel for Student, HKU (Since 2016)
- Academic Advisor, FBE, HKU (Since 2012)
- HKICPA QP Exam Moderation Sub-Group Member (Since 2016)
- Advisor/Reviewer/Adjudicator for HKICPA QP Case Competition (Since 2014), ACCA Hong Kong Business Case Competition (Since 2018), HK Joint-U Business Case Competition (2015, 2018-Present), KPMG BA Paper Competition (2018), HKIAAT Accounting and Business Management case competition (2016).
- Coach for HKU student teams in local and international case competitions (Since 2012)
- Professional Trainer/Speaker for HKU International Case Society (Since 2014), Eureka Consulting Group (2014), ExCEL3 Project for NGOs in Hong Kong (2012-2014).
- BBA (International Business and Global Management) Programme Director, FBE, HKU (2016 – 2018)
- Members of the Career Advisory Board, HKU (2016-2018)
- Member of the Board of the Faculty of Social Sciences, HKU (2013 – 2016)
- Member of the Program Quality Assurance and Enhancement Task Force, FBE, HKU (2012 – 2017)
- EQUIS and AACSB RE-accreditation Task Force, FBE, HKU (2012-2014)