Dr. Travis CHOW
Accounting and Law
- PhD in Accounting, University of Waterloo, Canada
- MSc in Statistics, University of Toronto, Canada
- MA in Economics, University of Toronto, Canada
- BA (First Class Honors), University of Alberta, Canada
Dr. Travis Chow joined HKU in 2020. Prior to joining HKU, he was a faculty member at Singapore Management University, where he taught taxation and financial accounting at the undergraduate level and empirical tax research seminar for PhD students. His research focuses on how taxes affect corporate decision making and has been published in Contemporary Accounting Research. Born and raised in Hong Kong, Travis pursued further studies in Canada and received his PhD in accounting from the University of Waterloo. Prior to his doctoral studies, he worked as an economic analyst in Toronto.
Travis currently teaches Management Control. His teaching experience includes taxation and financial accounting at the undergraduate level and empirical tax research at the doctoral level.
- Taxes and corporate decision making.
- Chow, Travis, Ken Klassen, and Yanju Liu (2016), “Targets’ Tax Shelter Participation and Takeover Premiums.” Contemporary Accounting Research, 33 (4), 1440–1472. Presented at 29th CAR Conference.
- FARS Excellence in Reviewing Award, 2016, American Accounting Association.
- Discussants for ATA Midyear Meeting, Oxford Tax Academic Symposium, EIASM Conference on Research in Taxation, SMU Accounting Symposium, Xiamen University Accounting Symposium, AAA Annual Meeting, CAAA Annual Conferences, LBS Trans-Atlantic Doctoral Conference.
- Ad hoc reviewer for journals: Contemporary Accounting Research, CAR Conference, European Accounting Review, International Journal of Accounting, Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, Review of Accounting Studies, The Accounting Review.
- Ad hoc reviewer for conferences: ATA Mid-year Meetings, FARS Mid-year Meetings, AAA Annual Meetings (ATA), CAAA Annual Conferences, and SMU Accounting Symposium, etc.