- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), Marketing, Harvard Business School
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Dr. Tuan Q. Phan’s research uses large and population-size datasets and spans multiple disciplines including economics, marketing, consumer behavior, computer science, and statistics. His expertise covers various industries including FinTech, retail and e-commerce, logistics and transportation, social media, news and video media, technology and consumer products, and education. His research has been published in leading scientific and management journals including the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS), Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research (JMR), and Information Systems Research (ISR). Dr. Phan is currently on leave from the National University of Singapore (NUS) in the Department of Information Systems & Analytics (School of Computing), and the Department of Analytics and Operations (Business School), a Research Team Lead at the Institute of Application of Learning Science and Educational Technology, and affiliated with the Business Analytics Centre. He received his doctorate from Harvard Business School, and an undergraduate from MIT. He is also an entrepreneur, and frequently consults industry leaders. Dr. Phan was also amongst the top 10 competitive ballroom dancers in North America.
- Technology Innovations in Retail Banking & Consumer Finance
- Big Data Consumer Analytics
- Social Networks
- FinTech and Retail Banking
- Education & Mental Illness
- Big Data, AI & Economics
- Computational Social Science
Refereed Journal Publications
- Bhattacharya, Prasanta, Tuan Q. Phan, Xue Bai, and Edoardo M. Airoldi. “A Coevolution Model of Network Structure and User Behavior: The Case of Content Generation in Online Social Networks.” Information Systems Research, January 10, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2018.0790.
- Phan, Tuan Q., and David Godes. “The Evolution of Influence Through Endogenous Link Formation.” Marketing Science, March 12, 2018. doi: 10.1287/mksc.2017.1077.
- Chen, Xi, Ralf van der Lans, and Tuan Q. Phan. “Uncovering the Importance of Relationship Characteristics in Social Networks: Implications for Seeding Strategies.” Journal of Marketing Research 54, no. 2 (2017): 187–201. doi:10.1509/jmr.12.0511.
- Cavusoglu, Huseyin, Tuan Q. Phan, Hasan Cavusoglu, and Edoardo M. Airoldi. “Assessing the Impact of Granular Privacy Controls on Content Sharing and Disclosure on Facebook.” Information Systems Research 27, no. 4 (2016): 848–879. doi:10.1287/isre.2016.0672.
- Phan, Tuan Q., and Edoardo M. Airoldi. “A Natural Experiment of Social Network Formation and Dynamics.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, no. 21 (May 26, 2015): 6595–6600. doi:10.1073/pnas.1404770112.
Awards, Honors, and Fellowships
- 2018, Health Information Traceability Foundation Awards, Global Finalist for best proposal for use of blockchains & healthcare, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2016, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Dublin, Ireland. Most Innovative Research-In-Progress Paper Award
- 2014, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Auckland, New Zealand. Best Research-in-Progress Award, runner up