- PhD in Economics, Duke University, 2000
- MA in Economics, Peking University
- BSc in Biology, University of Science & Technology of China
Dr. Wen Zhou is an Associate Professor in the group of Strategy and International Business, HKU Business School. He received BS in biology from the University of Science and Technology of China, MA in economics from Peking University and PhD in economics from Duke University. He joined the University of Hong Kong in 2007 after working at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for several years.
Dr. Zhou teaches Managerial Economics for MBA and IMBA, and Strategic Thinking (STRA 3709) to undergraduates.
Dr. Zhou works in the field of industrial organization. His research focuses on endogenous market structure in the presence of mergers, innovation, and international trade. He has also studied business strategies such as pricing and advertising.
- "Inflexible Repositioning: Commitment in Competition and Uncertainty", with Jiajia Cong, Management Science, forthcoming
- "Vertical Integration and Disruptive Cross-market R&D", with Ping Lin and Tianle Zhang, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 2020, Vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 51-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/jems.12328
- “When is Upstream Collusion Profitable?” with Dingwei Gu, Zhiyong Yao, and Rangrang Bai, Rand Journal of Economics, 2019, 50:2, pp. 326–341. https://doi.org/10.1111/1756-2171.12271
- "Entry, reputation and intellectual property rights enforcement", with Jiahua Che and Larry Qiu, Canadian Journal of Economics, 2014, Vol. 47, no.4, pp.1256-1281. https://doi.org/10.1111/caje.12104
- "Multiproduct firms and scope adjustment in globalization", with Larry Qiu, Journal of International Economics, 2013, Vol.91, pp.142-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2013.04.006
- "The effects of competition on the R&D portfolios of multiproduct firms", with Ping Lin, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2013, Vol.31, pp.83-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2012.11.003
- "Endogenous horizontal mergers under cost uncertainty", International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2008, Vol.26, no.4, pp.903-912. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2006.10.010
- "Large is beautiful: Horizontal mergers for better exploitation of business shocks", Journal of Industrial Economics, 2008, Vol.56, no.1, pp.68-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6451.2008.00333.x
- "Merger waves: A model of endogenous mergers", with Larry Qiu, RAND Journal of Economics, 2007, Vol.38, no.1, pp.214-226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-2171.2007.tb00052.x
- "International mergers: Incentive and welfare" with Larry Qiu, Journal of International Economics, 2006, Vol.68, pp.38-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2004.12.005
- "The choice of commercial breaks in television programs: The number, length, and timing", Journal of Industrial Economics, 2004, Vol.52, pp.315-326. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-1821.2004.00228.x