Dr. Xin WANG
Accounting and Law
|3917 8354 (Room 1215, K.K.Leung Building)|
- PhD in Accounting, Duke University, Durham NC, USA
- MS in Accounting, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- BA in Accounting, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Associate Professor, The University of Hong Kong (HKU), 2014 – present
Assistant Professor, The University of Hong Kong (HKU), 2011 – 2013.
Assistant Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), 2006 – 2011.
Dr. Wang is an associate professor of accounting at the Faculty of Business and Economics, The University of Hong Kong (HKU). He joined HKU as the assistant professor in 2011 and was promoted as the associate professor in 2014. Prior to joining HKU, he was an assistant professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Dr. Wang has taught a wide variety of accounting courses at the undergraduate, MBA and PhD levels, including the course of Management Accounting for the IMBA program and the course of Intermediate Financial Accounting for the undergraduate program. As an active accounting researcher, Dr. Wang has published articles in leading academic journals, including The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Review of Accounting Studies and Contemporary Accounting Research. Topics of his research focus on the issues of firms’ financial reporting quality, sell-side analysts, management earnings forecasts, corporate governance and insider trading. He received the Best Paper Award at the American Accounting Association International Section Midyear Meeting. Dr. Wang holds a PhD degree from Duke University and Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees from Tsinghua University.
- Intermediate Financial Accounting I (ACCT2102, undergraduate course)
- Management Accounting (IMBA6081, MBA course)
- Research Methods for Business Studies (co-instructor, BUSM6001, PhD course).
- Financial reporting quality;
- Management earnings forecasts;
- Sell-side analysts;
- Corporate governance;
- Insider trading;
- Best Paper Award, 2013. The Sixth Annual Research Conference of CAPANA.
- Best Paper Award, 2010. American Accounting Association International Section Midyear Meeting.
- Cheng, Q., F. Du, B. Y. Wang, and X. Wang. 2018. “Do Corporate Site Visits Impact Stock Prices?” Forthcoming, Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Chen, C., X. Martin, S. Roychowdhury, X. Wang, and M. Billett. 2018. “Clarity Begins at Home: Internal Information Asymmetry and External Communication Quality.” The Accounting Review 93 (1): 71-101.
- Chen, F., O.-K. Hope, Q. Li, and X. Wang. 2018. “Flight to Quality: Political Uncertainties and Investors’ Demand for Financial Reporting Transparency.” Contemporary Accounting Research 35 (1): 117-155.
- Chen, F., O.-K. Hope, Q. Li, and X. Wang. 2018. “Earnings Opacity and Closed-End Country Fund Discounts” Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance 33(3): 324-354.
- Hu, X., X. Wang, and B. Xin. 2017. “Insider Trading: Does Being a Neighbor of the SEC Matter?” Managerial and Decision Economics 38 (2): 144-165.
- Cheng, Q., F. Du, X. Wang, and Y. Wang. 2016. “Seeing is Believing: Analysts’ Corporate Site Visits.” Review of Accounting Studies 21 (4): 1245-1286.
- Chen, X., Q. Cheng, A. Lo, and X. Wang. 2015. “CEO Contractual Protection and Managerial Short-termism.” The Accounting Review 90 (5): 1871-1906.
- Chen, X., Q. Cheng, and X. Wang. 2015. “Does Increased Board Independence Reduce Earnings Management? Evidence from Recent Regulatory Reforms.” Review of Accounting Studies 20 (2): 899-933.
- Chen, C., X. Martin, and X. Wang. 2013. “Insider Trading, Litigation Concerns, and Auditor Going Concern Opinions.” The Accounting Review 88 (2): 365-393.
- Chen, F., O.-K. Hope, Q. Li, and X. Wang. 2011. “Financial Reporting Quality and Investment Efficiency of Private Firms in Emerging Markets.” The Accounting Review 86 (4): 1255-1288.
- Francis, J., D. Nanda, and X. Wang. 2006. “Re-examining the Effects of Regulation Fair Disclosure Using Foreign Listed Firms to Control for Concurrent Shocks.” Journal of Accounting and Economics 41 (3): 271-292.
- Faculty Higher Degrees Committee (FHDC) (PhD program) (2017 – present)
- Faculty Research Committee (FResC) (2018 – present)
- Chairman of Departmental Research Postgraduate Committee (DRPC) (PhD program) (2015 – 2017)
- Chairman of Faculty Review Committee (FRC) (2014 – 2018)