Dr. Yanfeng ZHENG
Management and Strategy
Associate Director, Centre for Asian Entrepreneurship and Business Values
Ph.D. University of Wisconsin Madison
Dr. Zheng is currently working as an associate professor in the Management and Strategy area, HKU Business School at the University of Hong Kong, and the associate director of the Centre for Asian Entrepreneurship and Business Values (CASEBV). He earned his Ph.D. from University of Wisconsin Madison, majored in management and minored in economics.
Dr. Zheng has extensive teaching experience in entrepreneurship and strategic management. He has developed a few innovative teaching methods and novel courses at HKU such as Common Core Course on entrepreneurship. Dr. Zheng also advises HKU students on business plan competition and other entrepreneurial activities such as YDC Young Entrepreneur Challenge.
His research interests primarily revolve around the nexus of strategic management and entrepreneurship. His work has been published at leading management and entrepreneurship journals such as Academy of Management Journal (AMJ), Strategic Management Journal (SMJ), Journal of Business Venturing (JBV), Journal of Management Studies (JMS), Industrial and Corporate Change (ICC), and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal (SEJ). He also serves the editorial board of AMJ, the most prestigious academic journal in management field.
- Zheng, Y., & Wang, Q.R. Forthcoming. Shadow of the Great Firewall: The Impact of Google Blockade on Innovation in China. Strategic Management Journal.
- Zheng, Y. & Xia, J. 2018. Resource Dependence and Network Relations: A Test of Venture Capital Investment Termination in China. Journal of Management Studies. 55(2) p.295-319.
- Zheng, Y., DeVaughn, M. & Zellmer-Bruhn, M. 2016. Shared and Shared Alike? Founders' Prior Shared Experience of Newly Founded Banks. Strategic Management Journal. 37(12) p.2503-2520.
- Yang, H., Zheng, Y. & Zaheer, A. 2015. Asymmetric Learning Capabilities and Stock Market Returns. Academy of Management Journal. 58(2) p.356-374.
- Zheng, Y. & Yang, H. 2015. Does Familiarity Foster Innovation? The Impact of Alliance Partner Repeatedness on Breakthrough Innovations. Journal of Management Studies. 52(2) p.213-230.
- Yang, H., Zheng, Y. (equal lead author) & Zhao, X. 2014. Exploration or Exploitation? Small Firms’ Alliance Strategies with Large Firms. Strategic Management Journal. 35(1) p.146-157.
- Zheng, Y., George, G., & Miner, A. 2013. Does the Learning Value of Individual Failure Experience Depend on Group Level Success? Insights from a University Technology Transfer Office. Industrial and Corporate Change. 22(6) p.1557-1586.
- Zheng, Y. & Mai, Y. 2013. A Contextualized Transactive Memory System View on How Founding Teams Respond to Surprises: Evidence from China. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. 7(3) p.197-213.
- Mai, Y. & Zheng, Y. 2013. How On-the-job Embeddednes Influences New Venture Creation and Growth. Journal of Small Business Management. 51(4) p.508-524.
- Zheng, Y. 2012. Unlocking Founding Team Prior Shared Experience: A Transactive Memory System Perspective. Journal of Business Venturing. 27(5) p.577-591.
In addition to classroom teaching and academic research, Dr. Zheng is keenly interested in connecting with the entrepreneurial communities, both locally and globally. He helps with coordinating entrepreneurial activities within the CASBV scope. His story was covered by well-known public media such as Southern China Morning Post and Phoenix TV. He also provides consultancy services for local technology start-ups.