Ph.D. in Economics, London School of Economics
MSc. in Economics, London School of Economics
B.A. in Economics, Sun Yat-sen (Zhongshan) University
Dr. Wu is Associate Professor of Economics at the University of Hong Kong and Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR). Prior to HKU, he was Assistant Professor of Finance and Business Economics at the Marshall School of Business of the University of Southern California. His research concentrates on two areas: media economics and organizational economics. In media economics, he studies the economy of mass communication, particularly the underexplored subject of the media in China. In organizational economics, his research focuses on the organization of knowledge-intensive activities, particularly in the digital economy. Recently, he has worked with data scientists to apply cutting-edge big data methods to various areas in the social sciences. His work has been published at top economics and management journals, including the American Economic Review, Review of Economics and Statistics, Economic Journal, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Management Science, and Organization Science.
- Economics of Organization and Strategy (MEcon)
- Introduction to Causal Inference and Machine Learning (undergraduate)
- Media Economics, Organizational Economics, Development Economics, Chinese Economy, Big Data and Computational Social Science
- Media Bias in China (with Bei Qin and David Strӧmberg)
American Economic Review, 108(9): 2442-76, September, (2018)
- Incentive Contracts and the Allocation of Talent
Economic Journal,127(607): 2744-2783, December, (2017).
- Authority, Incentives and Performance: Evidence from a Chinese Newspaper, Review of Economics and Statistics, 99(1): 16-31, March, (2017).
- Why Does China Allow Freer Social Media? Protests versus Surveillance and Propaganda (with Bei Qin and David Strӧmberg)
Journal of Economic Perspectives,31(1): 117-40 (2017).
- Organizational Structure and Product Choice in Knowledge Intensive Firms, Management Science,61(8): 1830-1848 (2015).
- Knowledge, Communication and Organizational Capabilities (with Luis Garicano), Organization Science,23(5):1382-1397 (2012).
- European Research Council Advanced Grant, Co-PI, 2018-2022
- USC Marshall Outlier Research Fund, PI, 2016-2018
- USC Greif Entrepreneurship Research Award, 2014
- Vincent Cheng Scholarship (LSE), 2007-2010
- Chevening Scholarship (British Council), 2003-2004