Dr. Yi TANG
Management and Strategy
- PhD: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Master: Nanjing University
- Bachelor: Nanjing University
Yi Tang currently is an Associate Professor (with tenure) in Strategy in the Department of Management, Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Hong Kong. Previously, Dr. Tang was affiliated with Hong Kong Baptist University and Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Yi Tang received his PhD from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in June, 2009.
Dr. Tang’s research and teaching interests reside in the areas of strategic leadership, firm innovation, corporate social responsibility, and interfirm social networks. His research output has been published in top-tier journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management, among others. He is also a frequent contributor for Tsinghua Management Review (清华管理评论), a practitioner journal.
Dr. Tang currently sits on the editorial boards of Strategic Management Journal and Management and Organization Review. He is also editing special issues for Journal of Management Studies and Family Business Review. Dr. Tang is an active member of Academy of Management (AOM) and Strategic Management Society (SMS), and also serves as the representative-at-large for the International Association of Chinese Management Research (IACMR).
Dr. Tang has taught Strategic Management and its related subjects for the PhD, DBA MBA, MSc, and Undergraduate levels. For the past eight years, Dr. Tang has been responsible for the Strategic Management area in the DBA programs at Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Hong Kong Baptist University.
Strategic Management, Entrepreneurship, International Business, Organization Theory
Strategic Leadership; Corporate Social Responsibility; Entrepreneurship and Firm Innovation; Social Networks within and across Firms
- Fu, R., Tang, Y., & Chen, G. Chief sustainability officers and corporate social (Ir)responsibility. Strategic Management Journal, 41(4): 656-680.
- Tang, Y., Mack, D., & Chen, G. (equal contribution) 2018. The differential effects of CEO narcissism and CEO hubris on corporate social responsibility. Strategic Management Journal, 39(5): 1370-1387.
- Chen, G., Luo, S., Tang, Y., & Tong, Y. (equal contribution) 2015. Passing probation: Earnings management by interim CEOs and its effect on their promotion prospects. Academy of Management Journal, 58(5): 1389-1418.
- Tang, Y., Li, J., & Yang, H. 2015. What I see, what I do: How executive hubris affects firm innovation. Journal of Management, 41(6): 1698-1723.
- Tang, Y., Qian, C., Chen, G., & Shen, R. (equal contribution) 2015. How CEO hubris affects corporate social (Ir)responsibility. Strategic Management Journal, 36(9): 1338-1357.
- Tang, Y., & Wezel, F. (equal contribution) 2015. Up to standard? Market positioning and performance of Hong Kong films, 1975-1997. Journal of Business Venturing, 30(3): 452-466.
- Shen, R., Tang, Y., & Chen, G. (equal contribution) 2014. When the role fits: How firm status differentials affect corporate takeovers. Strategic Management Journal, 35(13): 2012-2030.
- Li, J., & Tang, Y. 2010. CEO hubris and firm risk taking in China: The moderating role of managerial discretion. Academy of Management Journal, 53(1): 45-68.
a. PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATION
Academy of Management (AOM)
Strategic Management Society (SMS)
International Association of Chinese Management Research (IACMR)
b. GUEST EDITORSHIPS
Long Range Planning, Special issue on "Emotion in the Strategic Management of Family Business", Deadline: Dec 31, 2010
Journal of Management Studies, Special issue on "Biases and Heuristics of Top Managers", Deadline: Feb 29, 2020
Family Business Review, Special issue on "Psychological Foundation in Family Business", Deadline: Feb 28, 2019
c. EDITORIAL BOARDS
Journal of International Business Studies, since 2020
Strategic Management Journal, 2014-present
Management and Organization Review, 2013-present
d. AD HOC REVIEWS (partial list)
Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Business Venturing
e. DEPARTMENTAL SERVICE
Departmental Executive Committee, 2018-2019, Hong Kong Baptist University
Departmental Search Committee, 2017-2019, Hong Kong Baptist University
Departmental Staffing Committee, 2013-2017, Hong Kong Polytechnic University