Academic & Professional Qualification
- Ph.D., M. Phil., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- B.A., Ocean University of China
Chicheng MA joined the University of Hong Kong in 2017. Previously he was associate professor of economics in Shandong University. Chicheng received his PhD in Social Science from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2011. His research interests are in economic history, development economics, and political economy.
- Economic History
- Development Economics
- Political Economy
- “Telegraph and Modern Banking Development, 1881-1936”
(with Chen Lin, Yuchen Sun and Yuchen Xu), Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming.
- “Long Live Keju! The Persistent Effects of China’s Civil Examination System”
(with Ting Chen and James Kung), The Economic Journal, 2020, 130(631), 2030-2064.
- “Friends with Benefits: How Political Connections Help to Sustain Private Enterprise Growth in China”
(with James Kung), Economica, 2018, 85(337), 41-74.
- “Can Cultural Norms Reduce Conflicts? Confucianism and Peasant Rebellions in Qing China”
(with James Kung), Journal of Development Economics, 2014, 111, 132-149.
- “Autarky and the Rise and Fall of Piracy in Ming China”
(with James Kung), The Journal of Economic History, 2014, 74(2), 509-534.