Dr. Olivia LEUNG
Academic & Professional Qualification
- Ph.D, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- B.Comm(Hons), University of British Columbia, Canada
- C.A. / CPA Canada, British Columbia, Canada
Dr. Olivia Leung obtained her PhD in Accounting from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and her Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) in Accounting from the University of British Columbia, Canada. She is also a qualified Chartered Accountant of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia (ICABA) in Canada. Prior to joining the academic industry, Dr. Leung worked in the Auditing and Assurance department of a Big-4 accounting firm in both Canada and Hong Kong.
Dr. Leung’s passion is in teaching and learning. She has rich experience in teaching university classes sized from 20 to 300 students in both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes; coaching students in local and international case competitions; advising students on academic, career, and personal development as an academic advisor; conducting professional seminars; and delivering public talks for community outreach. Dr. Olivia Leung’s cross-cultural background, multinational educational/professional experience, and enthusiasm in coaching students allow her to establish an effective learning environment for students in the Business School and have continuously earned her widespread recognition for teaching excellence. She has earned several teaching excellence awards including the Faculty Outstanding Teacher Award (Undergraduate) at the Faculty of Business and Economics (now HKU Business School) for 2012-2013, 2015-2016, and 2018- 2019, and the Teaching Feedback award at HKU for 2017-2018.
Dr. Leung is the Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning) at the HKU Business School, since 2020, supporting and enhancing the development of teaching and learning in both the School and the University. She chairs the Faculty Teaching and Learning Quality Committee, the Faculty Teaching Assistant Working Group, and contributes at different committees in the School and the University to lead and support various teaching and learning initiatives and solutions. Dr. Leung was heavily involved with the School’s AACSB and EQUIS accreditations in 2012-2014 and the University’s programme reviews of the BBA (International Business and Global Management) and BBA (Accounting and Finance) programmes in 2017/18 and 2016/17 respectively. She led the enrichment of the curriculum of the BBA(IBGM) programme under her role as the BBA(IBGM) programme director in 2016-2018. As the Assistant Dean (Undergraduate) during 2016-2019, Dr. Leung worked with local and overseas business and academic partners to develop and support learning enrichment opportunities such as the exchange programme, mainland study programmes, the international case competition talent programme, professional skills development programmes, and internship opportunities for undergraduate students to expand their horizons and connect with the business world. Dr. Leung’s devotion and leadership in teaching and learning continuously supports the School’s and the University’s commitment to providing the best education to students.
- Financial Accounting
- Management Accounting and Control
- Payout Policies
- Ownership Structure
- Corporate Governance
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2019, “Enhanced tax deduction”, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA), Prospective CPA, Issue Oct 2019, Tech Source.
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2018, “Baited traps in an auditor’s morning”, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA), Prospective CPA, Issue Oct 2018, Tech Source.
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2015, “Substance over form: The accounting definitions, classification, and treatment of leases under HKAS17”, Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians (HKIATT), T/DIALOGUE, Issue Oct 2015, Technical Articles, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Oct 15.
- Leung, O., and A. Mok, 2014, “Are your operating activities cash-generating? – The Direct and Indirect Method under HKAS7”, Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians (HKIATT), T/DIALOGUE, Issue Oct 2014, Technical Articles, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Oct 14.
Awards and Honours
- Faculty Outstanding Teacher Awards (Undergraduate Teaching) 2012-2013, 2015-2016, and 2018-2019
- Teaching Feedback Award 2017-2018
Service to the University/Community
- Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning), HKU Business School (Since 2020)
- Assistant Dean (Undergraduate), Faculty of Business and Economics (now HKU Business School) (2016 – 2019)
- BBA (International Business and Global Management) Programme Director, Faculty of Business and Economics (now HKU Business School) (2016 – 2018)
- Adviser of Beta Gamma Sigma HKU Chapter (Since 2019/20)
- Mentor of Faculty Teaching & Learning Mentorship Scheme (Since 2019/20)
- Member of the Grievances Panel for Student, HKU (Since 2016)
- Academic Advisor, HKU Business School (Since 2012)
- HKICPA QP Exam Moderation Sub-Group Member (Since 2016)
- Advisor/Reviewer/Adjudicator for HKICPA QP Case Competition (Since 2014), ACCA Hong Kong Business Case Competition (2018-2019), HK Joint-U Business Case Competition (2015, 2018-2019), KPMG BA Paper Competition (2018), HKIAAT Accounting and Business Management case competition (2016).
- Coach for HKU student teams in local and international case competitions (Since 2012)
- Professional Trainer/Speaker for HKU International Case Society (Since 2014), Eureka Consulting Group (2014), ExCEL3 Project for NGOs in Hong Kong (2012-2014).
- Member of the Career Advisory Board, HKU (2016-2018)
- Member of the Board of the Faculty of Social Sciences, HKU (2013 – 2016)
- Member of the Program Quality Assurance and Enhancement Task Force, HKU Business School (2012 – 2017)
- EQUIS and AACSB RE-accreditation Task Force, HKU Business School (2012-2014)