Early Recruitment Scheme
The Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Hong Kong (HKU Business School) is inviting applications for the full-time PhD programme commencing in September 2021.
The Early Recruitment Scheme is targeted at the brightest candidates with excellent academic records, demonstrated research capabilities or potential, and a strong interest in pursuing an academic career.
Successful candidates will be recommended by the Faculty for admission to the PhD programme and the following prestigious scholarships with a total value of up to HK$1.55 million:
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF)
- HKU Presidential PhD Scholarship (HKU-PS)
- University Postgraduate Fellowship (UPF)
- Postgraduate Scholarship (PGS)
In addition, all successful applicants will be granted the Faculty’s PhD Entrance Scholarship with a minimum value equivalent to the first year’s tuition fee.
Applicants for the Early Recruitment Scheme are expected to have a Bachelor’s degree at first class honours, or equivalent qualification, from a reputable university. An undergraduate applicant should have an average mark higher than 85/100; or CPGA higher than 3.6/4; or be ranked in top 10% in a related field from a top university.
Applicants are required to fill in an online application form and upload the following documents* in support of the application:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Academic transcript(s) and graduation certificate(s) of undergraduate and/or postgraduate studies
- Proof of English proficiency (e.g. IELTS/TOEFL) (only for applicants whose qualifications were obtained from university outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English)
- Research proposal (optional; suggested framework can be found under our Faculty at Graduate School’s website)
- Other supporting documents (GMAT/GRE results, certificates of scholarships, academic awards, publications, etc.)
*Please combine documents 1-5 into one PDF file before uploading, with your English name as the file name, e.g. "CHAN Tai Man.pdf"
Deadline for online application: August 31, 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews in early September and notified of the results around late September. Successful applicants will be required to submit their full application in early October in order to secure the offer.
Applicants who are not selected in this early recruitment exercise are welcome to apply in the main round commencing on September 1, 2020. Applicants can check the application timeline on the Graduate School’s website.
Telephone: (852) 3917 8369
Fax: (852) 2549 3735