Academic and Professional Qualifications
- PhD in Statistics, The Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania, 2003
- MA in Statistics, The Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania, 2000
- BS in Mathematics, School of Mathematical Sciences, Peking University, 1998
Haipeng Shen joined HKU in September 2015 as a Professor of Innovation and Information Management at the School of Business. Before joining HKU, he was a Professor of Statistics and Operations Research, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA.
- Fellow, American Statistical Association, 2015.
- Elected Member, International Statistical Institute, 2015.
- Cluster Chair for Big Data Analytics, INFORMS International, 2015.
- Program Chair-Elect, 2014, Section on Statistics in Imaging, American Statistical Association, 2013.
- Issue Feature Article, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 2014.
- Awarded University Affairs Committee Grant from The Xerox Foundation, 2012.
- Most Cited Article of Journal of Multivariate Analysis since 2008, 2012.
- Randy Sitter Paper of 2010 in Technometrics, 2010.
- Awarded Challenge Grant from National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2009.
- UNC-CH R. J. Reynolds Fund Award for Junior Faculty Development, 2008.
- J. Parker Bursk Memorial Prize for the best PhD student in the Department of Statistics, University of Pennsylvania, 2002.
Business Analytics, Business Data Analysis, Decision and Risk Analysis, Statistics
Data-driven decision making in the face of uncertainty: big data, business analytics, healthcare analytics, service engineering.
- Noah Gans, H. Shen, Yong-Pin Zhou, Nikolay Korolev, Alan McCord, Herbert Ristock (2015). Parametric Stochastic Programming Models for Call-Center Workforce Scheduling, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 17, 571-588.
- Lawrence D. Brown, Noah Gans, Avishai Mandelbaum, Anat Sakov, H. Shen, Sergey Zeltyn, Linda H. Zhao (2005). Statistical Analysis of a Telephone Call Center: A Queueing-Science Perspective, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 100, 36-50. (Google Scholar lists over 500 citations for this primarily methodological article.)
- Rouba Ibrahim, Pierre L’Ecuyer, H. Shen, Mamadou Thiongane (2015). Inter-Dependent, Heterogeneous, and Time-Varying Service-Time Distributions in Call Centers, European Journal of Operations Management, accepted.
- Rouba Ibrahim, Han Ye, Pierre L’Ecuyer, H. Shen (2015). Modeling and Forecasting Call Center Arrivals: A Literature Survey and A Case Study, International Journal of Forecasting, accepted.
- Lingsong Zhang, H. Shen, Jianhua Z. Huang (2013). Robust Regularized Singular Value Decomposition with Application to Mortality Data, The Annals of Applied Statistics, 7, 1540-1561.
- Spencer Hays, H. Shen, Jianhua Z. Huang (2012). Functional Dynamic Factor Models with Application to Yield Curve Forecasting, The Annals of Applied Statistics, 6, 870-894.
- Jiaping Wang, H. Shen, Hongtu Zhu (2012). Clustering Random Curves under Spatial Interdependence with Application to Service. Accessibility: Discussion, Technometrics, 54, 129-133.
- Rouba Ibrahim, Pierre L’Ecuyer, Nazim Regnard, H. Shen (2012). On the Modeling and Forecasting of Call Center Arrivals, Winter Simulation Conference, 1-12, Berlin, Germany, December 9-12, 2012.
- H. Shen (2010). Statistical Analysis of Call-Center Operational Data: Forecasting Call Arrivals, and Analyzing Customer Patience and Agent Service, Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, 1-10.
- Noah Gans, Nan Liu, Avishai Mandelbaum, H. Shen, Han Ye (2010). Service Times in Call Centers: Agent Heterogeneity and Learning with Some Operational Consequences, A Festschrift for Lawrence D. Brown, IMS Collections, 6, 99-123.
- Farhad Shafti, Tim Bedford, Léa Deleris, Jonathan Hosking, Nicoleta Serban, H. Shen, Lesley Walls (2010). Service Operations Classification for Risk Management, IBM Journal of Research and Development, 54, 7:1-7:17.
- Jianhua Z. Huang, H. Shen, Andreas Buja (2009). The Analysis of Two-Way Functional Data Using Two-Way Regularized Singular Value Decompositions, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 104, 1609-1620.
- H. Shen, Jianhua Z. Huang (2008). Interday Forecasting and Intraday Updating of Call Center Arrivals, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 10, 391-410.
- H. Shen, Jianhua Z. Huang (2008). Forecasting Time Series of Inhomogeneous Poisson Processes with Applications to Call Center Workforce Management, The Annals of Applied Statistics, 2, 601-623.
- H. Shen, Lawrence D. Brown (2006). Nonparametric Modelling of Time-varying Customer Service Times at a Bank Call Center, Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 22, 297-311.
- Guang Guo, Hexuan Liu, Ling Wang, Wen Hu, H. Shen (2015). The Genome-Wide Influence on Human BMI by Life-course, Historical Period and Physical Activity, Demography, 52, 1651-1670.
- Yilong Wang, Zixiao Li, Ying Xian, Xingquan Zhao, Hao Li, H. Shen, …, Yongjun Wang (2015). Rationale and Design of a Cluster-Randomized Multifaceted Intervention Trial to Improve Stroke Care Quality in China: The GOLDEN BRIDGE-AIS, American Heart Journal, 169, 767-774.
- Ruijun Ji, H. Shen, Yuesong Pan, Penglian Wang, Gaifen Liu, Yilong Wang, Hao Li, Xingquan Zhao, Yongjun Wang (2013). A Novel Risk Score to Predict 1-Year Functional Outcome after Intracerebral Hemorrhage and Comparison with Existing Scores, Critical Care, 17, R275.
- Ruijun Ji, David Wang, H. Shen, Yuesong Pan, Gaifen Liu, Penglian Wang, Yilong Wang, Hao Li, Yongjun Wang (2013). Interrelationship Among Common Medical Complications After Acute Stroke: Pneumonia Plays an Important Role, Stroke, 44, 3436-3444.
- Ruijun Ji, H. Shen, Yuesong Pan, Penglian Wang, Gaifen Liu, Yilong Wang, Hao Li, Yongjun Wang (2013). A Novel Risk Score to Predict Pneumonia after Acute Ischemic Stroke, Stroke, 44, 1303-1309.
- Ruijun Ji, Gaifen Liu, H. Shen, Yilong Wang, Hao Li, Eric Peterson, Yongjun Wang (2013). Persistence of Secondary Prevention Medications after Acute Stroke in Chinese Population: Data from China National Stroke Registry, Neurological Research, 35, 29-36.
- Seonjoo Lee, H. Shen, Young Truong, Michelle Lewis, Xuemei Huang (2011). Independent Component Analysis Involving Auto-correlated Sources with an Application to Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 106, 1009-1024.
A complete list is available here: https://sites.google.com/site/shenhaipeng/
- Associate Editor, Management Science, Stochastic Modeling and Simulation, 2014 - present
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 2014 - present
- Associate Editor, Technometrics, 2013 - present
- Associate Editor, The Annals of Applied Statistics, 2011 - present
- Associate Editor, Management Science, Special Issue on Business Analytics, 2012