Around 40 HKU students from the HKU Business School will be grouped into teams of 5.
Each team of students will work as professional consultants on a well-defined and mutually agreed upon problem during the consultation period. (6 weeks from June 8 - July 11, 2020).
Apart from business consulting reports, student consultants will give an oral presentation to the business client at the end of the practicum.
Training And Support
Before commencing the practicum, students will be offered training. Throughout the practicum, students will be guided and supervised by the Faculty Teacher, Professional Mentor, and Consultant-in-Residence.
In the training workshop, students will learn different business consulting skills such as project planning and management, developing consultancy reports, client and team management, etc. to cope with the challenging real-life business projects.
Feedback And Evaluation
Throughout the project, student consultants will receive evaluations and feedback from the business clients as well as from the Faculty Teacher, Professional Mentor and Consultant-in-Residence for continuous improvement.
Every week, students will have a meeting with the Faculty Teacher / Professional Mentor / Consultant-in-Residence to receive comments and advice for continuous improvement.
Benefits To Students
By the end of the course, students should have gained:
- Practical internship experience in a business organization.
- Experience in applying learned business knowledge to solve specific real-life business problems.
- Experience in preparing and presenting business consultancy reports.
- Ability for critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving in a business setting.
- Enhanced service leadership and communication skills.
- Experience and appreciation for teamwork and collaboration.
- Enhanced employment potential.
- Opportunity to provide a valuable service to the business community by supporting the development and growth of businesses or social enterprises in Hong Kong.
- You may need to work outside Hong Kong (e.g. mainland China).
- You will not receive any salary compensation from the business client.
Who Are Eligible To Apply?
The course is designed for non-final year students in the HKU Business School. All applicants are required to have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7. Students may be invited to attend interviews for evaluation of their business knowledge and soft skills.